- Starting from 2018.2, steps to upgrade Tableau Server have changed for Windows. See Upgrade from Tableau Server 2018.1 or earlier to Tableau Server with TSM and Upgrade process change in Tableau Help.
- The Server Upgrade Guide takes you through the entire process to make your upgrade as seamless as possible.
- Download the newest maintenance release and get started!
Extend the value of your data across your entire organization with Tableau Server. The Tableau Server platform is easy to deploy, scale, and monitor.
New in Tableau Server 2019.3
New Language Added: Italian
Tableau Server and Support Knowledge Base now available in Italian!
With the launch of Tableau Server 2019.3 as well as Tableau Desktop and Prep Builder 2019.3, Italian has been added to our supported languages. Tableau customers come from all corners of the world and we want to serve as many as possible in their native languages.
Explore Support Knowledge Base in all 11 languages.
Server Management Add-on
Improved scalability and increased operational efficiency in a secure environment
For Tableau Server deployments hosted on AWS, you can now choose to host your metadata repository externally with Amazon RDS Postgres. Amazon RDS offers scalability, reliability, high availability and security built-in for PostgreSQL. By integrating with AWS, you will be able to take advantage of these additional benefits of deploying to the cloud. For more information, see Tableau Server External Repository.
Two new tools, Resource Monitoring and Content Migration are included as part of Server Management Add-on:
- The Resource Monitoring tool provides increased visibility into hardware utilization, and server processes, and makes it easier to understand and tune the performance of your Tableau Server installation. For more information, see About Tableau Resource Monitoring Tool.
- The Content Migration tool helps streamline your workbook and data source content work flows. You can manage the movement of content between development and production or between other environments. For more information, see About Tableau Content Migration Tool.
Server Management Add-on is a separately licensed Add-on which will provide enhanced security, manageability, and scalability for Tableau Server. For more information, see License the Data Management Add-on.
Tableau Catalog Feature
Part of the Data Management Add-on
Tableau Catalog is included in the separately licensed Data Management Add-on for Tableau Server and Tableau Online, making a variety of features available to you in the data management space. You can use Tableau Catalog to discover data, curate data assets, communicate data quality, perform impact analysis, and trace the lineage of data used in Tableau content.
For information, see About Tableau Catalog.
Extract Encryption at Rest
Extract encryption at rest is a data security feature that allows you to encrypt .hyper extracts while they are stored on Tableau Server.
Tableau Server administrators can enforce encryption of all extracts on their site or allow users to specify to encrypt all extracts associated with particular published workbooks or data sources. See Extract Encryption at Rest.
Tableau Services Manager (TSM)
As of Tableau Server 2018.2, Tableau Services Manager (TSM) is now available for Windows as well as Linux, and replaces tabadmin. This new web-based server configuration and management application contains a new user experience for server administrators – a command-line interface (CLI) and a web interface (both interact with the new TSM REST API).
For more information about TSM, see the following helpful resources:
Tableau Server on Linux Upgrade information
Are you upgrading Tableau Server on Linux to 2018.2?
Share workbooks and data extracts with other users in your organization using Tableau Server!
Read through the links below for advanced knowledge and details:
- Tableau Server Configuration utility
- tabadmin command line utility
- Tableau Server Monitor
Troubleshooting Extracts on Tableau Server
If your users experience or report any of the following behaviors while performing an extract task, they may be running into an incompatibility scenario. Please redirect them to the following Knowledge Base articles to resolve the error(s).