DataFam Roundup: June 6 - 10, 2022
Welcome! Dig into this week's DataFam Roundup—a weekly blog that brings together community content all in one post. As always, we invite you to send us your content—and the DataFam content from your peers that have inspired you! Find the content submission form here.
Nicole Lillian Mark: Seven principles of UX design to improve your business data visualizations, Part 1
Dive into content created by the Tableau Community:
- Annabelle Rincon, Rativiz: What happened in Vegas doesn’t stay in Vegas!
- Kevin Flerlage, The Flerlage Twins: Guest Blog Post: Percentage Trend Calculations - An Easier Way! by Kasia Gasiewska-Hoc
- Jim Dehner: Just what does Include or Exclude Do
- Andy Kriebel, VizWiz: How to Compare to a Selected Value with a Parameter Action
- Sarah Nell-Rodriquez, Be Data Lit: Top 5 “Rules” for Being a Data Literacy Advocate
- Nicole Lillian Mark: Seven principles of UX design to improve your business data visualizations, Part 1
- Eric Parker, OneNumber: How to Create Dynamic Labels for Tableau Highlight Tables
- Bridget Cogley, Tableau Fit: The Third Tier: What it (really) takes to read a chart
- Will Sutton: Tutorial | Building Presentations in Tableau
- Donna Coles: Can you maintain rank?
- Data + Diversity: Celebrating the impact of the LGBTQ+ community: Join the DataFam on June 22nd (9am PDT) to explore the impact and data visualizations of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Join the LGBTQ+ (Data Pride) Tableau User Group: A virtual group focused on highlighting, elevating, and bringing together the LGBTQ+ community in data and its allies.
- Back 2 Viz Basic Pride Viz Challenge: Visualize the global acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community using diverging values.
Upcoming events and community participation
- Chart Chat Live, June 16 (11am EDT): Watch as Jeffrey Shaffer, Steve Wexler, Andy Cotgreave, and Amanda Makulec debate the good, the bad, and the "scaredy-cats" of data visualization. Special guests Seth Godin and Jasper Croome will discuss the collaborations, iterations, and frustrations that went into building the charts and graphs for soon-to-be-released Carbon Almanac.
- Data Leadership Collaborative Braindates, June 23 - 24: Exchange ideas with data leaders from around the world.
- Tableau Community Booster Meetup, June 24, 2022: This space is to celebrate and discover some amazing Tableau Community lead projects. We will start with quick outlines of each project, then you will have a chance to meet the organizers and data artists that lead these exceptional groups during this virtual networking event via Remo.
- Tableau DataFest 2022: It’s time to sharpen your Tableau skills, propel your career forward, and have some fun at a Tableau DataFest in a city near you. Drawing together key sessions from Tableau Conference ‘22 in Vegas with new bespoke demos and deep dives from local customers and partners, Tableau DataFest is your destination for data.
- Stay up to date with the latest and greatest from the Tableau Community. We'll help you along in your Tableau journey, bring your data skills to the next level, and nurture powerful connections.
- Sign up to be a panelist for the 3charts@3 Live: A Mystery Chart Show featuring topics like personal finance, energy, healthcare and more!
- Data Book Club, Summer 2022 Selection: Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
Priyanka Dobhal: #B2VB2022 W12: Acceptance of homosexuality across the globe
Check out some inspirational vizzes created by the community:
- Zach Bowders: Dots
- Stiliyan Dimitrov: Personal Finance
- Lindsay Betzendahl: #ProjectHealthViz: The Changing Wave of Cannabis Exposures
- Lilla Rasztik: The beginning of a new life
- Priyanka Dobhal: #B2VB2022 W12: Acceptance of homosexuality across the globe
- Luke Abraham: Acceptance of Homosexuality | #B2VB Diverging Values
- Michelle Frayman: Data22 Step Count
Back 2 Viz Basics
A monthly project connecting real education data with real people.
June 2022: Chicago Public Schools – Progress Report Cards (2011-2012)
Data Plus Music
Games Night Viz
Storytelling with Data
Project Health Viz
Sports Viz Sunday
Volunteer to design data visualizations that help nonprofits harness the power of data for social change.
Web: Viz for Social Good
June 10 - July 15, 2022: Bridges to Prosperity