Measured's cofounders, CEO Trevor Testwuide and CTO Madan Bharadwaj, previously worked at companies that consulted with brands, analyzed their marketing spends, and delivered reports and bespoke UI experiences that were limited in customization and forced users to download data into Excel. The process was effective, but ultimately inefficient. Preparing and querying Excel spreadsheets was a highly manual process, and it was disconnected from the source data, making each report partially out of date as soon as it was finished. And building a separate online data interface for each client to meet their specific needs meant that development slowed down the rate at which each brand client could achieve value with the data.
And so Measured was born in 2017, and currently serves timely, insightful data to hundreds of stakeholders at more than twenty-five D2C brands on the incremental contributions of their paid media tactics—all through the familiar and easy-to-use functionality of the Tableau platform.
"Many of our clients in the past have been familiar with Tableau, and would ask if we could give them our insights in the form of workbooks they could use right in their Tableau environments," says Testwuide. "So it just made a lot of sense for us to stop burning our resources building a bespoke, custom UI for every client, when we could accelerate our own application by partnering with Tableau."
For a startup like Measured, this approach had several key advantages. One of the biggest was time to market—the Measured team rapidly creates new product experiences using the capabilities of the Tableau platform 10 - 20x faster than traditional UI development approaches. In addition, customers can spin up their own bespoke dashboards on top of the Measured dataset within hours without all the disadvantages of “Excel-hell”.
In this way, Measured bridges the gap between standard reporting and more specific, business-driven requirements. "There's always the 80/20 rule," Bharadwaj says. "A standard analytics product experience will cover about 80 percent of a client's use cases, but the remaining 20 percent will be very diverse. And because each of our D2C brand clients has a unique business model, that 20 percent is where they generally spend 80 percent of their time. So, we implement Tableau in ways that extend the customer's product experience to include these more distributed use cases, and that way they get everything they need in one place."
Capital efficiency was also optimized, in that Measured could focus resources on its core applications rather than building a customized UI for every client.
"Our challenge was to commit to a product experience from within Tableau, which was a radical approach in market for our category" says Bharadwaj. “But once we got comfortable with that idea, Tableau brings a lot of what you’d want in a UI product like navigation, objects like worksheets, dashboards, an object hierarchy, events, scripting - all out of the box.” And because its target market had proficiency with Tableau already, Measured could deliver workbooks that easily integrated into each client's workflows without disrupting work or requiring further training.