Who should take this course:
You are an experienced Tableau user who wants to learn more about best practices for displaying information and insights in Tableau. Ideally, you have taken the Tableau Desktop I: Fundamentals and Tableau Desktop II: Intermediate courses, but these are not official prerequisites. This course uses Tableau to develop and discuss visualisations, but does not include instruction on how to use Tableau.
When you complete this course, you will be able to:
- Design visualisations that reduce cognitive load to effectively leverage short-term memory.
- Design visualisations that align with pre-attentive attributes to effectively leverage sensory memory.
- Design visualisations to inform viewers without misleading.
- Effectively use chart types to answer specific questions.
- Design dashboards and stories using visual best practices.
View the full course description in Trailhead Academy.
What to bring
Students are encouraged to bring in their own data or visualisation examples, but this is not a requirement. We also recommend bringing a notepad, pen or pencil, and a USB drive to save any work.
- A course manual containing key concepts on each topic covered
- Trial access to Tableau eLearning to discover self-paced, guided learning paths and earn digital badges (public classroom attendees only)
- This course provides a certification of completion
- Continuing education credit (CPE) hours: 13 or 11.25 depending on the course you select (the 2 days/8 hrs per day option or the 5 days/2.5 hours per day option, respectively)
This course is part of the Designer and Data Scientist learning paths. Find out more.