DataFam Roundup: November 27–December 1, 2023
Welcome! Dig into this week's DataFam Roundup—a weekly blog that brings together community content all in one post. As always, we invite you to send us your content—and the DataFam content from your peers that have inspired you! Find the content submission form here.
To recognize new and consistent Tableau contributors—we’re excited to have a section within the weekly DataFam Roundup called the Tableau Community Highlight. Find out how to get involved.
Chris Westlake, Senior BI Analyst at JLL
Chris Westlake is a Senior BI Analyst at JLL. He stays involved in the community by participating in Community Projects, publishing vizzes on Tableau Public, and co-leading the Scotland Tableau User Group.
Chris was introduced to Tableau as a student and was amazed at how quickly raw data is transformed into a visually appealing chart using the tool. In his learning journey, practicing using Community Projects, especially Makeover Monday and SportsVizSunday, and attending Tableau User Groups were invaluable to Chris. However, he felt a gap as there was no User Group in his geographic area. When the Scotland Tableau User Group came to life, Chris was keen to give back and share his experience with the community by serving as a co-leader.
At work, Chris uses Tableau everyday but he also uses it outside of work to analyze data connected with his passions. This ranges from vizzes containing sports data to addressing social issues such as the global hunger crisis, many of which he publishes to Tableau Public.
Dive into content created by the Tableau Community:
- Klaus Schulte: Data Mapping For Everyone
- Jim Dehner:
- Annabelle Rincon: Creating the DataFam Advent Calendar viz
- Autumn Battani: Master the Art of Feedback
- Solomon Kahn, Data Leadership Collaborative: AI + Data: 5 Ways to Maximize Your Impact
- Donna Coles: How to annotate a mark that changes in Tableau
- Zach Bowders, Data + Love: Authenticity and Kindness in Data with Vince Baumel
- AllAboutDATA: Tableau Desktop Specialist Exam Practice Questions
- Emily Kund: Alt-texting charts
- Bridget Cogley: How to create a career in data visualization
- Darragh Murray: Iterative Visual Design and The Choice Visual
- Sarah Bartlett: VizIt Berlin 2023 Reflections
- Data Viz Canvas: How to add "All" value to Tableau Dynamic Parameter
- Dawn Harrington, Tech Tips Girl: The Text in a Table Problem
- Júlia Borsi and István Korompai, The Viz Collective: An ode to pies and pie alternatives
- Andy Kriebel, VizWiz: The Fundamentals of Logical Functions - IF THEN vs. Case
- Explore the 2024 Iron Viz Entries
- New vizzes and favorites are available on the Recent Activity channel in Tableau Public.
- 7 Ways to Stand Out and Secure Your Next Data Analytics Role
- Transforming Ideas into Features: Tableau's Commitment to Community-Driven Innovation
Upcoming events and community participation
Apply or Nominate to Become a 2024 Tableau Visionary by 11:59 PM (PT), Thursday, January 11, 2024.
#TableauNext 2024 Nominations: Nominate individuals who have significantly impacted the DataFam through their work with Tableau or Salesforce, but are not yet recognized as Visionaries, employees, or Ambassadors. Nominations close at 11:59 PM (ET) on December 29th.
2024 Iron Viz Qualifiers: Top 10 Results January 17, 2024, 9:00 AM (PT) Virtual Event - Find out the top 10 Tableau Public visualizations, including the 3 finalists selected to compete in the 2024 Iron Viz Championship.
READY TO SUPERCHARGE YOUR DATA SKILLS? The Information Lab has free, on demand training courses will help you to make sense of your data and take you from zero to data hero. Developed by our industry leading trainers, our expansive courses cover the basics to intermediate levels of Tableau, Alteryx and Tableau Prep! You can take advantage of the whole course or simply choose the modules you need to brush up on your skills. Start your data journey today by simply selecting your training course below.
Demystifying the way to learn Data Visualization! Are you looking for a way to learn Data Visualization and feeling lost? We all have been there and I am going to help you understand the fundamentals and look for a way to learn data visualization.
Viz Collab: Hello everyone! I’m excited to be opening #VizCollab back up for another round of matches! In the last year I matched around 40 people for some amazing vizzes, including Viz of the Days and a viz that was featured in a local publication. So if you want to find a collaboration partner sign up.
Nurudeen Abolarinwa: Car Insurance Policies Dashboard
Check out some inspirational vizzes created by the community:
Nurudeen Abolarinwa: Car Insurance Policies Dashboard #RWFD
George Gorczynski: Income Statement
David ó Cinnéide: Radial Marimekko
Back 2 Viz Basics
A monthly challenge covering pop culture and fandoms.
Web: DataFam Con
November 2023: Let’s go on an Adventure! With Tableau’s Data Plus Movies
A monthly project connecting real education data with real people.
November 2023: Scholarship Recipients and Dollars by College Code: Beginning 2009
Games Night Viz
Storytelling with Data
Project Health Viz
Sports Viz Sunday
Volunteer to design data visualizations that help nonprofits harness the power of data for social change.
Web: Viz for Social Good
Oct 19—Nov 23, 2023: Physicalizing Data for a Better World