Tableau Server has many built in features to promote data exploration, collaboration, and security. The Data Server is arguably the most powerful of these tools but is commonly overlooked and underutilized. Answer these questions to see how the Data Server can save you time and increase productivity.
• Are you struggling to manage and update many large extracts while removing duplicates?
• Do you want to refresh your extracts once and automatically update your workbooks?
• Do you want to provide centralized management of your metadata? The ability to author a calculation once and share it with everyone, creating a standardized definition for each field?
• Are you tired of having to deploy database drivers on each users local machines?
• Do you want to simplify how your users access data stored in your databases?
If you found yourself replying 'yes' to any of these questions, then it’s time to unleash the Data Server.
Tableau Data Server allows you to upload and share data extracts, preserve database connections, as well as reuse calculations and field metadata. This means any changes you make to the dataset; calculated fields, parameters, aliases, or definitions, can be saved and shared with others, allowing for a secure, centrally managed and standardized dataset. Additionally, you can leverage your server's resources to run queries on extracts without having to first transfer them to your local machine.
Publishing your data is as simple as choosing "Publish to Server..." from the context menu of the data source you are connected to, entering your credentials and specifying permissions. Connecting to the data server is like connecting to any other database, choose "Tableau Server" from the connection list, authenticate, and select the data source. Data connections can be administered, modified or deleted by accessing 'Data Sources' on Tableau Server.