We had three main goals when building MyALPO. We wanted to help users find relevant content fast, and discover new content that might also prove helpful. We also wanted to include a search tool as a portal to the rest of the content.
It took us six months to design, build, and polish MyALPO. And we’ve learned a number of lessons along the way. For example, we now know that various departments use the same tool in totally different ways, sometimes even using completely different terminology. We also know that if someone finds a dashboard useful, others on the same team will likely find it useful, too.
There were countless technical lessons as well. We had to figure out how to build the search box from scratch, for instance. It wasn’t always smooth sailing, but with the help of Tableau’s own developers, we built a product that serves our users every day.
The good news is you, too, can benefit from the lessons we learned. We don’t plan to productionalize MyALPO, but we’re glad to share tips and lessons to help you build your own. That way, you can customize the platform for your users and work environment.
In the next installment of this blog series, I’ll share more about the technical aspects of building MyALPO. In the meantime, tell us how you’ve been dealing with this problem of scalability by posting in the comments below.