As Requested, You Can Filter across Data Sources in Tableau 10

By Frankie Liu 18 Maio, 2016

Update: Tableau 10 is here! Download now to try out the feature outlined below.

We’re thrilled to bring you one of our most requested features of all time. In Tableau 10, you can filter across multiple data sources!

Let’s say you’re connected to multiple data sources, each with common dimensions like Date, Product, or Location. And as part of your analysis, you want to have a single filter apply across all the sources.

That’s where this new feature comes in. Any time you have data sets that share a common dimension, you can filter across the data sets.

Let me show you how this works. The following example shows profit and sales. We have two data sources, Coffeechain and Superstore. They both contain the dimension State.

1. From the dashboard, add a State filter to the Coffeechain data set.
2. From the “Apply to worksheets” menu, select “All using related data sources.”

That’s it. We’ve just applied a filter across several data sources!

So how does this work? Applying a filter to “All using related data sources” adds the filter to any worksheet whose primary data source is in a relationship with the filter field. For related sources, the action creates a new filter that populates with the domain from the filter’s data source.

What Are Relationships?

At this point, you may be wondering: What do we mean by relationship?

Tableau uses the Edit Relationships dialog to determine whether fields from different data sources are related. The Edit Relationships dialog is not new to Tableau; we’re just taking advantage of the existing capabilities to provide great defaults and configurability.

By default, Tableau treats any fields with the same name as related. If you have common fields in different data sources with different names, you can define a custom relationship (mapping the field names together), or you can simple rename your fields so that they match.

What If You Want to Apply the Filter to Selected Sheets?

You can apply filters on a per-sheet basis using “Selected worksheets.” We’ve updated this feature in Tableau 10 to include any worksheets that have relationships to your filter.

Thanks for the Idea!

As I mentioned, the idea for this feature came from you, our brilliant community.

You might recall we ran a survey on dynamic parameters, the most-requested feature on our Ideas Forum. When we asked you what you meant by “dynamic parameters,” many of you said what you’re looking for is a cross data-source filter.

As you know, your ideas often turn into features in Tableau. And because our survey showed “dynamic parameters” means different things to people, we’re fulfilling this request one feature at a time.

Join the Beta

Tableau 10 is currently in beta. We have a timeline for getting Tableau 10 out the door, but we’d first like to get solid usage in beta and fix any bugs. We want your feedback as early as possible to catch any issues and ensure the new features are great. Many of you have already sent us feedback on this feature, and we've created this FAQ based on your questions.

If you haven’t yet, check out our beta program to learn more and sign up. The beta program is available for existing Tableau customers. Customers with an active maintenance license can upgrade for free when Tableau 10 is released.

Learn More about Tableau 10

Tableau 10 includes a brand new look and feel, and a host of new features to help you prep, analyze, and share your insights even faster. Check out our Coming Soon page for details.

Submitted by Steve R. on

Where should I start and what should I (not relationship)?

Submitted by Frankie Liu (não verificado) on

Hi Steve,
Let me know if you have any questions.

Submitted by Tableau k. on

Hi All,

I am eagerly waiting to see & use the new feature of "CROSS DATABSE JOINING".

Thanks & Regards

Submitted by Bob B. on

I like this feature, but I wish I could keep the relations or have the fields be filtered across all the data sources.

Submitted by Veronica S. on

WoW!!! Amazing new feature!

Submitted by Timothy K. on

Great start! This will make our navigation hacks that much more useful. However, I'm included in the group that needs both this, and dynamic parameters. So I hope you're still looking into it!

Submitted by Derek A. on

This doesn't always seem to work. I am using Tableau 10 Beta 4 right now and there is one datasource that won't work, even when the relationship is set correctly. I've tried to remove and re-add but still not working. Is there a limitation based on the type of datasource (i.e. Oracle combined with MS SQL)? From what I can see that is the only difference between the datasources. The fields and relationship matches.

Submitted by Frankie L. on

Hi Derek,
Thanks for trying out the Beta. To answer your question, cross data source filters do no support multi-dimensional cube sources. If you're still having problems please email and we'll see if we can help you.

Submitted by Frankie L. on

Hi Tim,
Absolutely we're still working on dynamic parameters. Thanks so much for the feedback

Submitted by Derek A. on

Hi Frankie, thanks for the quick reply. I did go ahead and email the beta team with my issue.
In the meantime is there somewhere I can reference these limitations? Is there in depth documentation on these new features that are being implemented?

Submitted by Bob B. on

It sounds like we had similar thoughts on functionality. Right now you can use one set of filters across all data sources, but you lose relationship functionality on secondary data sources.

Submitted by Vishal D. on

Any idea on how I can apply dynamic global filters to worksheets built on different datasource but have common filters like 'Year', 'State'. I tried using Parameters but they are static.

I am using Tableau 9.2

Submitted by Tom W. on

As the original requester of the dynamic parameters idea, can I extend my thanks and congratulations! :-)

Submitted by Mason S, (não verificado) on

I am very excited for Tableau 10. This will enhance the value of data.

My biggest complaint is the lack of a deployment mechanism, to where workbooks and data can be sent to stakeholders automatically

Submitted by Jai T (não verificado) on

Very happy that this has been implemented! I've been trying to replace a parameter setup I had and have been successful!

Although now I've got a problem with a URL action filter that goes from one workbook to the workbook that I've got a cross datasource filter on.

Are cross datasource filters available to URL action on? Or am I missing something?

Submitted by Q (não verificado) on

Nice to have tableau 10, so this is for multiple data source, and previous version is for within one dats source, right?

Submitted by SRIRAM (não verificado) on

Want to learn whether any features in parameter is implemented in tableau 10?
we have an implementation where value of the parameters needs to be dynamic as per the underlying database value at any given point in time. currently, this is a limitation where we need manually apply the field in the parameter and use it and it is a hindrance in few implementations