Last updated on June 30, 2021. Tableau believes in the importance of thoughtfully handling personal information and is committed to privacy practices that are transparent and compliant. This Privacy Statement sets out how Tableau uses the personal information we collect and receive about you.
Categories of Personal Information Collected
Tableau collects personal information in support of its mission to help people see and understand their data. This personal information is collected through a variety of ways. You provide some information directly to us; we receive some information when you visit our website or use our products and services; and we receive some information from third parties. The categories of information we collect will depend on your interactions with Tableau:
Contact information. Name, employer, title, email address, physical address, phone number, and similar contact info, user names and passwords.
Payment and financial information. Credit card number, banking information and billing address.
Demographic Information. Employment status, occupation, region. If you participate in a Tableau research focus group, then you will have the option to provide further information, such as gender, race, and age.
Inferred and derived information. Data such as propensities and attributes that Tableau generates to help us understand you and your preferences.
Transaction and registration information. Information which is generated in the course of your transaction with Tableau, including account information, logins, passwords, and purchase history. Product registration information, product interest information, transaction information, and in some cases, student verification information. We may also collect registration information related to your attendance at Tableau events, including travel information, scheduling information, food preferences or allergies, and accessibility requests.
Website data. When you visit a Tableau website, we may collect online and technical information from your computer or mobile device, (such as your browser type; your Internet Protocol (IP) address and geographic areas derived from your IP address); time-stamped logs regarding access times and duration of visits; the web pages you visited before coming to Tableau websites (referring URL); and other usage data relating to your activities on our Sites, including the pages you request.
Product-related data. When you use a Tableau product or service, we collect certain information related to your use of our products and services. Tableau products may collect two types of usage-related data ("Usage Data") depending on your configuration:
- Basic Product Data: "Basic Product Data" refers to technical information about your computer or mobile device (such as device type, operating system type and version, and Tableau-assigned identifiers that help us recognize your device and validate that you are a licensed user), and details about which of our products and product versions you are using.
- Product Usage Data: "Product Usage Data" refers to whether or how you use specific features within our products and services, such as the types of data sources you query, the types of visualizations you build, the number of steps in a flow, the type of flow operations you use, and the queries you submit (including natural language queries), as well as hardware properties such as CPU type and amount of RAM.
Customers using an on-premises deployment of a Tableau product or service may be able to configure their systems to avoid transmitting Basic Product Data to us, as described here. Additionally, our on-premises products and services provide administrative tools that allow customers to opt out of the collection of Product Usage Data through that product or service, as described here. These options are not available for our hosted products, which automatically collect all Usage Data, as we operate them in our hosted environment.
We may link this information to the personal information we have collected about you and use it for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement, and we may deliver targeted marketing and product information back to you based on this data.
Third party data. We may receive your personal information from third party suppliers or partners. If you connect with Tableau accounts on third party social networking sites, we may receive information about your social networking accounts, for example, your name, user name or display name, public profile, and email address. We may combine information you provide with data we collect automatically and with data we receive from third parties.
Images, video and recordings. Pictures, videos or audio recordings may be collected by Tableau. For example, if you attend a Tableau event, your image may be captured in a photo or video. If you call Tableau customer support, your call may be recorded.
If you decline to provide your personal information or ask us to delete it, we may be unable to continue to provide or support our products or services.
Ways We Use Personal Information
We use the personal information we collect for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement, as covered in any agreement that incorporates this Privacy Statement, or as disclosed to you in connection with our websites. For example, we will use your information to:
- Provide and deliver products or services, including software updates;
- Operate and improve our operations, systems, products, and services;
- Understand you and your preferences to enhance your experience;
- Respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- Provide service and support, such as sending confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and administrative messages and providing customer support and troubleshooting;
- Communicate with you and your referrals about promotions, upcoming events, and news about products and services offered by Tableau and our selected partners;
- Link or combine information about you with other personal information we get from third parties, to help understand your needs and provide you with better and more personalized service;
- Enforce our terms and conditions or protect our business, partners, or users;
- Protect against, investigate, and deter fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity; and
- Keep our products, facilities, and services secure.
Reasons for Using Your Information
When we process your personal information we will only do so where at least one of the following applies:
- We need to use your personal information to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you and to provide you with tools and services.
- We have a legitimate reason to collect and use your personal information. For example, it is in our legitimate interests to use usage data including your personal information to improve our products and services; to tell you about changes to this Privacy Statement and other policies; to tell you about new products, services and events or changes to our products, services or websites; for business reasons (for example to develop and expand our business); and to tell you about offers or promotions we are running.
- You have given consent to use your personal information. You may withdraw consent by opting out where we give you the opportunity to do so, or by contacting us using the contact details below.
- If it is necessary for us to use your personal information in order to comply with a legal obligation.
- You have chosen to make the information public. You should not share any personal information which you wish to keep confidential or private.
Sharing of Personal Information
Tableau works to keep your personal information confidential and secure. In some circumstances Tableau may share your information with third parties, for example:
- We may share your personal information when we have your permission, including when you choose to share information using Tableau Public or post to our Community websites;
- We provide personal information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Tableau to provide us with services. For example, we share contact information with our training and certification partners, our reseller and service partners, our data storage, customer support and marketing vendors, and with our software providers. These companies may use your personal information to perform services and to help Tableau communicate with you, including making offers from Tableau and our partners. Tableau maintains contracts with these companies restricting their access, use and disclosure of personal information in compliance with this Privacy Statement and any legal obligations;
- If you connect to your third party accounts through our products, we will use that information to authenticate you, enumerate the data sources available to you, download any data you request us to, and download and refresh authentication tokens or persist authentication information such as user names and passwords as necessary to continue to connect to these data;
- We may share your contact and transactional information with our current or future affiliates, which may include parent and subsidiary companies, joint ventures, or other companies under common control, in which case we will require our affiliates to honor this Privacy Statement;
- We will disclose your personal information to comply with legal requirements, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena. We also may disclose your personal information in response to a law enforcement agency's request, or where we believe it is necessary to investigate, verify, prevent, enforce compliance with, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; suspected fraud; situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person; protection of the rights and property of Tableau, our agents, customers, or others; violations or suspected violations of our agreements and policies; or as otherwise required or permitted by law or consistent with legal requirements;
- We transfer or disclose your personal information for corporate reasons. For example, to third parties in connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy or similar transaction. We may also share personal information with our auditors, attorneys or other advisors in the connection with corporate functions; and
- Finally, we also share aggregated, anonymized or statistical information about you, including demographics data, with others for a variety of purposes, for example, for improving products and services for Tableau and others.
We may facilitate third party services or ways to share data through third parties, including social media platforms, websites, applications, and services through plug-ins, widgets, buttons, and other third party features on and connected with our websites, communications or products. Third parties whose services you use in connection with Tableau, such as our training and certification partners, or third parties whose websites we link to, may have information practices that are different from ours. This Privacy Statement does not apply to the activities of third parties when they are collecting or using data for their own purpose or on behalf of others. We are not responsible for the activities of these third parties. We encourage you to review their privacy policies to understand how they use your information.
Storage and Security of Your Personal Information
We have reasonable and appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures in place to help safeguard your personal information. However, you should know that no company, including Tableau, can fully eliminate security risks associated with personal information. To help protect yourself, use a strong password, do not use the same passwords to access your Tableau accounts that you use with other accounts or services, and protect your user names and passwords to help prevent others from accessing your accounts and services. For more information about Tableau security practices, see https://www.tableau.com/security. We offer you the ability to post information and exchange ideas through our websites and other services such as Tableau Public. Because your posts and information shared through Tableau Public are public and can be seen by others, we caution all users to consider what they post and not to disclose any personal information. Tableau will not be responsible in the event that you disclose personal information in your posts, through our public services or during any other communication with other website users.
Information collected by Tableau or on our behalf may be stored on your computers, on your mobile devices, or on our servers, and may be transferred to, accessed from, or stored and processed in, the United States and other countries including but not limited to Ireland, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands, Australia, Singapore, Japan, India, and China, and any other country where Tableau or its service providers maintain facilities or support centers (a list of Tableau offices can be found here: www.tableau.com/about/contact, including jurisdictions that may not have data privacy laws that provide protections equivalent to those provided in your home country. However, we will protect all personal information we obtain in accordance with this Privacy Statement and take reasonable steps to ensure that it is treated lawfully, for instance, by entering into the appropriate back-to-back agreements and, if required, standard contractual clauses or an alternative mechanism for the transfer of data as approved by the European Commission (Art. 46 GDPR) or other applicable regulator. Tableau is now a Salesforce company, and as such, we have implemented appropriate safeguards so that Personal Data (as defined in the Salesforce Privacy Statement) shared with Tableau by Salesforce is used solely for our collective business purposes.
In certain circumstances we may retain your personal information after you have closed your account or are no longer actively engaged with Tableau. For example:
- We may retain your personal information after you have closed your account so that we can send you information about products, services and publications we think you may be interested in. You can "unsubscribe" from receiving such messages or tell us you are no longer interested;
- We may retain your personal information in order to protect our legal rights, or those of third parties, or to comply with the law;
- We may retain personal information about how you have used our products and services in order to improve and develop our business;
- If you purchase products or services from us, we may retain your personal information for as long as we need to in order to provide you with customer service, or for compliance purposes, for example, in order to comply with our record keeping requirements;
- Tableau may also use and share aggregated, non-personally identifiable data for research, external training and marketing purposes.
Controlling your Personal Information
- Access your personal information held by us;
- Know more about how we processed your personal information;
- Rectify inaccurate personal information and, taking into account the purpose of processing the personal information, ensure it is complete;
- Erase or delete your personal information (also referred to as the right to be forgotten), to the extent permitted by applicable data protection laws;
- Restrict our processing of your personal information, to the extent permitted by law;
- Transfer your personal information to another controller, to the extent possible (right to data portability);
- Object to any processing of your personal information. Where we process your personal information for direct marketing purposes or share it with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes, you can exercise your right to object at any time to such processing without having to provide any specific reason for such objection;
- Opt out of certain disclosures of your personal information to third parties;
- If you are under the age of 16, opt in to certain disclosures of your personal information to third parties;
- Not be discriminated against for exercising your rights described above;
- Not be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal effects ("Automated Decision-Making"). Automated Decision-Making currently does not take place on our websites or in our services; and
- Withdraw your consent at any time (to the extent we base processing on consent), without affecting the lawfulness of the processing based on such consent before its withdrawal.
If you need help or wish to exercise any of the above rights or have questions about them, please submit your request here.
Additional Disclosures for California Residents
The California Consumer Privacy Act requires businesses to disclose whether they sell personal information. Please refer to this page for information about Tableau's practices. In addition, we may share personal information with third parties or allow them to collect personal information from our sites if those third parties are authorized service providers or business partners who have agreed to our contractual limitations as to their retention, use, and disclosure of such personal information, or if you use Tableau sites to interact with third parties or direct us to disclose your personal information to third parties.
California law requires that we detail the categories of personal information that we disclose for certain "business purposes," such as to service providers that assist us with securing our services or marketing our products, and to such other entities as described in this Privacy Statement. We disclose the following categories of personal information for our business purposes:
- Commercial information;
- Internet activity information;
- Financial information;
- Professional and employment-related information;
- Education information; and
- Inferences drawn from any of the above information categories.
California law grants state residents certain rights, including the rights to access specific types of personal information, to learn how we process personal information, to request deletion of personal information, and not to be denied goods or services for exercising those rights.
If you are a California resident under the age of 18 and have registered for an account with us, you may ask us to remove content or information that you have posted to our website(s). Please note that your request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information, because, for example, some of your content may have been reposted by another user.
If you need help or wish to exercise any of the above rights or have questions about them, please submit your request here. Alternatively, you may dial 1 (844)-287-7147. We will consider all such requests and provide our response as soon as we can. Please note, however, that personal information may be exempt from such requests in certain circumstances, which may include circumstances where we need to keep processing your personal information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We must confirm your identity before providing you with any personal information or deleting any personal information.
California Privacy Rights Reporting
Requests Fulfilled in Whole Or In Part*
Days to Respond Initially
Median Days to Complete a Request**
Requests for Access to Personal Data
Requests to Delete Personal Data
Requests to opt out of sale of Personal Data***
Less than 1 day
Less than 1 day
*Requests may be unable to be completed due to factors like the inability to verify the resident’s identity or lack of response.
**Time to complete a request may depend in part on receipt of information from the person making the request, such as information to verify the person’s identity or information about the action requested.
***As noted in the “Cookies and Web Beacons” section below, Tableau’s sharing of information from cookies and similar technologies may be considered a sale. These figures describe opt-outs from Tableau advertising cookies. We are unable to reliably identify which cookie opt-outs are from California consumers, so the number of requests represented here reflects the number of global requests.
Data for all access and deletion requests are for requests received by the Salesforce and its affiliates from California residents between January 1 and December 31, 2020. Data for all opt out requests are for requests received by Tableau from California residents between January 1 and December 31, 2020.
Cookies and Web Beacons
Although the European Union no longer recognizes the Privacy Shield program as an adequate transfer mechanism, we continue to abide by our Privacy Shield certification (as outlined here: https://www.privacyshield.gov/welcome) and are an active participant in the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework. Tableau also complies with the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information transferred from Switzerland to the United States. Our Privacy Shield certification covers the types of personal information set out in this Privacy Statement, and Tableau is subject to the investigative and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission. Tableau complies with the Privacy Shield principles for onward transfers, including the liability provisions.
You may direct any inquiries or complaints concerning our Privacy Shield compliance to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact JAMS, at https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield. JAMS is a Privacy Shield dispute resolution mechanism. JAMS has committed to respond to complaints and to provide appropriate recourse at no cost to you. If neither Tableau nor JAMS resolves your complaint, you may have the possibility to engage in binding arbitration through the Privacy Shield Panel. You may also make a complaint to the relevant EU data privacy supervisory authority or the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner.
How to Contact Us
Tableau Software, LLC is a member of a group of companies located in North America, the European Economic Area, Asia, and Australia. Click on this link for a complete, up-to-date list of our group companies who may process your personal information: www.tableau.com/about/contact. If you have any questions about how we use your personal information, or if you have any other privacy-related questions, please contact us here or at Tableau Software, LLC, Attn: Tableau Legal, 1621 N 34th St., Seattle, Washington 98103 or The Oval, Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4, Ireland.
From time to time, we will update this Privacy Statement. In the event there are material changes to our information practices, we will note those changes on Tableau’s Privacy Statement webpage (www.tableau.com/privacy) and in some cases send a notification of changes via email.