The TC17 Hackathon is a contest where developers compete for prizes by building creative extensions with the Tableau Platform.
It's our third annual Hackathon at Tableau Conference and it's bigger and better this year. All Tableau Conference attendees are welcome to join us for:
- A full day of hacking to unleash your creativity on Tableau technology!
- Help from over 50 Tableau engineers.
- Surprise theme announcement!
- Dynamic teaming, you can just come and team to pursue any idea of interest you want to showcase.
- Awesome t-shirts for all participants.
- Live demonstrations and judging of project finalists the following day.
- Sweet prizes for the best projects.
Sign up through the TC17 Conference app in order to guarantee your spot. The Hackathon is listed with the other Monday sessions in the "Schedule" section of the app.
$1000 Cash Prize &Eternal Bragging Rights
Tableau Swag Bag
What You Can Build
Use any part of the Tableau extensibility platform in your hacks, or combine multiple parts for exciting mashups. For more information on what the Tableau platform enables developers to do, see the following documentation:
Looking for a Project Idea?
Checkout our event blog from last year's hackathon for some inspiration.
At the event, we will allocate some time for sharing of ideas and brainstorming. Plus, we have some new cool secret stuff we'll talk about at TC that is sure to get your creative juices flowing!
Check what's new on Tableau Online page to explore new features launched.
The hackathon will be split into two phases: a full-day participation phase and a live judging event where finalists present their projects.
- What: Developers spends a day building their projects. Lunch, snacks, and refreshments will be available - dinner is at the welcome reception nearby. NOTE: We will have a VERY limited number of loaner PCs for the event. Make sure to bring your own laptop to use during the event.
- When: Monday, October 9, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM PST. (These are doors open & doors close times - feel free to come and go as you please.)
- Where: Mandalay Bay, South Convention Center, Level 2, Reef.
Live Finals phase
- What: Finalists present their projects live on stage.
- When: Tuesday, October 10, 7:00 PM PST.
- Where: Mandalay Bay, North Convention Center, South Pacific E.
Whether you come for all or part of Hackathon, you can enter the Hackathon contest for a chance to demo your project in front of a live audience and win prizes.
Projects must be submitted by 8:30 AM on October 10. Projects can be submitted individually or as part of a team of up to three people.
Perform the following steps in order to submit:
- Record a video demonstration of your project. The video cannot be longer than 2 minutes. Audio is encouraged, but not required. If you don't have existing screen recording software, you can use something like http://screencast-o-matic.com/home.
- Upload the recording to YouTube with the hashtags #datadev and #hacktc17.
- Fill out the submission form to finalize your submission: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W9THJZF
A panel of Tableau judges will select finalists from the submitted projects based on the following criteria:
- 40% - Creativity. Your project uses the Tableau APIs in an interesting way and displays technical adeptness.
- 30% - Potential impact. Your project will help others use and benefit from Tableau.
- 30% - Design and usability. Your project is fast, easy, and beautiful.
During the live finals, the audience will decide the winner.