Update: This contest is now over. Check out all the details about the event and winning projects in the blog post.
The TC16 Hackathon is a contest where developers compete for prizes by building creative extensions with the Tableau Platform.
It's our second annual hackathon at Tableau Conference and it's bigger and better this year. All Tableau Conference attendees are welcome to join us for:
- A full day of hacking!
- Help from over 20 Tableau engineers.
- Awesome #datadev t-shirts for all participants.
- Live demonstrations and judging of project finalists the following day.
- Some sweet prizes for the best projects.
Sign up through the TC16 Conference app in order to guarantee your spot. The hackathon is listed with the other Monday sessions in the "Schedule" section of the app.
$1000 Cash Prize &Eternal Bragging Rights
Tableau Swag Bag
What can you build?
Use any part of the Tableau extensibility platform in your hacks, or combine multiple parts for exciting mashups. For more information on the Tableau extensibility platform, see the following documentation:
Looking for project ideas? Try out the new API features in Tableau 10:
- Use the new Document API to create & modify .tds(x) and .twb(x) files.
- Use the new Server Client Library to interface with the REST API.
- Write a Web Data Connector that connects to multiple tables of data and pre-defines joins (or standard connections).
- Some new cool secret stuff we'll talk about at TC!
The hackathon will be split into two phases: a full-day participation phase and a live judging event where finalists present their projects.
What: Developers spends a day building their projects. Lunch, snacks, and refreshments will be available - dinner is at the welcome reception nearby.
When: Monday, November 7, 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. CST. (These are doors open & doors close times - feel free to come and go as you please.) There will be a kickoff presentation at approximately 9:30 a.m.
Where: Four Seasons Hotel Austin, Ballroom A - D.
Live Finals phase
What: Finalist present their projects live on stage.
When: Tuesday, November 8, 6:30 p.m. CST
Where: Austin Convention Center, Ballroom A.
Whether you come for all or part of the hackathon, you can enter the hackathon contest for a chance to demo your project in front of a live audience and win prizes.
Projects must be submitted by 8:30 a.m. CST on November 8. Projects can be submitted individually or as part of a team of up to three people.
Perform the following steps in order to submit:
- Record a video demonstration of your project. The video cannot be longer than 2 minutes. Audio is encouraged, but not required. If you don't have existing screen recording software, you can use something like http://screencast-o-matic.com/home.
- Upload the recording to YouTube with the hashtags #datadev and #hacktc16.
- Fill out the submission form to finalize your submission - The submissions deadline has now passed.
A panel of Tableau judges will select finalists from the submitted projects based on the following criteria:
- 40% - Creativity. Your project uses the Tableau APIs in an interesting way and displays technical adeptness.
- 30% - Potential impact. Your project will help others use and benefit from Tableau.
- 30% - Design and usability. Your project is fast, easy, and beautiful.
During the live finals, the audience will decide the winner.