More data was created in the last two years than in the history of humankind—a trend that’s only expected to increase in volume and velocity. Advancements in open data, analytic capabilities, and cloud infrastructure options are enabling public sector organizations to take advantage of this massive influx and to reimagine how data can provide actionable, persuasive insights towards mission-critical results.
Join the thought leaders revolutionizing how government agencies access, analyze, and share data at Tableau Government Summit. You will network with peers, connect with expert speakers, meet Tableau pros, and leave with a deeper understanding of how the public sector is using analytics and Tableau to:
Who Should Attend
If you’re responsible for leading or delivering your agency’s Business Intelligence program, Tableau Government Summit is for you.
Attendees of previous Tableau Government Summits include:
This event is free to attend for government employees.
07:30-09:00 - Registration and breakfast
Attendees can register and help themselves to a complimentary breakfast.
08:00-08:45 - Sponsor-led breakfasts in private rooms
Event sponsors will lead private breakfasts in individual rooms.
09:00-09:30 - Welcome and Market Trends Overview
- Sean Brophy, Vice President for Public Sector Sales, Tableau
- Rob Dolan, Market Segment Manager for Public Sector, Tableau
09:30-10:00 - Customer Speaker: United States Census Bureau (USCB)
- Jeffrey Meisel, Chief Marketing Officer, United States Census Bureau
The Census Bureau's mission is to serve as the leading source of quality data about the nation's people and economy. The resulting repository of census data is expansive and covers a wide range of topics, at various geographic levels. A lot can happen when you take such a deluge of data and let it flow into Tableau's platform.
From internal analytics and business intelligence aimed at improving operational efficiencies to strategic shifts in how we share our public facing datasets in innovative ways, this session will cover how the Census Bureau continues to lead the way in an increasingly data-driven world.
10:00-10:30 - Tableau Chief Product Officer: Francois Ajenstat
- Francois Ajenstat, Chief Product Officer, Tableau,
Modernization is the top Federal IT initiative for 2018 and beyond. Analytics will be the cornerstone for any modernization effort – whether delivering the best citizen customer experience, delivering against overall mission goals or simply meeting the delivery dates for specific milestones in the modernization efforts of your organization. Having a robust analytics platform will help streamline and accelerate your agency’s modernization efforts. But what should that analytics platform look like?
Francois will discuss the Tableau Platform roadmap and share how the Tableau Platform is the right choice for your modernization efforts.
10:30-10:45 - Coffee Break
A chance to chat, stretch, and caffeinate.
10:45-11:30 - Partner Session: Grant Thornton - Transforming Government Agencies Using Foundational Analytics
Join us and learn how the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Homeland Security leverage foundational analytics to transform the way they manage their critical functions. During this session, we take a deep dive with agency leadership to explore how analytics has transformed large amounts of disparate data into actionable intelligence.
- Rick Chandler, CFO for the Office of Information & Technology at the US Department of Veterans Affairs
- Peter Fitzhugh, Assistant Director, Information Management Division, Immigration and Customs Enforcement at the Department of Homeland Security
- Shiva Verma, Principal, Grant Thornton
- Aurpon Bhattacharya, Senior Manager, Grant Thornton
11:30-12:15 - Panel: Modern Analytics and Modernization
The President’s Management Agenda, Office of Management & Budget, and Congress are pursuing initiatives focused on modernization, data security, and evidenced-based decision-making within the Federal government. These initiatives help drive efficiency, replace outdated and ineffective systems, and streamline processes – all of which results in cost-savings. These efforts are critical for government agencies in order to deliver on their mission goals and objectives. Modernization also addresses the data integrity and governance issues that continue to plague government, issues that make it difficult to gain meaningful insight from data.
Data and analytics offer numerous solutions to address many of these modernization efforts. Such complex problems are built on an analytics platform that can address and manage the data and analytics needs of diverse government agencies.
Join Tableau's Chief Product Officer Francois Ajenstat as he moderates an executive panel of your peers that discusses modernization, how data and analytics can help in that effort and what the value of a robust analytics strategy and platform mean to the Federal government.
- Francisco Salguero, CIO, United States Department of Agriculture
- Joe Roach, Director, Division of Financial Policy and Controls, Health Resources and Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Mika Cross, Director of Strategic Communications, Digital and Public Engagement for the Veteran's Employment and Training Agency - United States Department of Labor
- Pete Tseronis, former Chief Technology Officer, United States Department of Energy
12:15-13:45 - Lunch in Partner Pavilion and Executive Lunches
A break for food, discussion, and networking.
13:45-14:15 - Customer Speaker: United States Air Force: Modernizing Through Data
- Lieutenant Colonel Kevin Calhoun, United States Air Force
- Joe Offutt, Lead Data Scientist, Booz Allen Hamilton
By harnessing their data with Tableau, the United States Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center (AFIMSC) uses analytics to manage data and data-driven decisions across the enterprise.
Through governance, visualization, and a growing community of practitioners, Tableau's platform allows the AFIMSC to further their mission of understanding the cost of mission infrastructure. Since rolling out their pilot program in early 2017, Tableau Server and Desktop have saved the Air Force Civil Engineers $500M directly, allowing their infrastructure program to have the highest return on investment, while keeping the impact of various missions top of mind.
14:15-14:45 - Customer Speaker: How The Health Resources and Services Administration is Embracing Data-Driven Decision Making
- Satish Gorrela, Chief of Architecture & Delivery, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
HRSA’s Modern Data Analytics Platform (MDAP) powered by Tableau, provides 1,800+ business users with self-service tools to support data-driven decision making and mitigate risks to its $9B grants portfolio. The MDAP solution enabled business users to reduce their time-to-insight by 40%, democratizing business intelligence within the Agency from power users to business users. The solution empowered senior management and staff to utilize interactive dashboards and self-service reports to make timely and informed decisions.
14:45-15:15 - Customer Speaker: United States Army: How Analytics is Helping Us Win on the Multi-Domain Battlefield
- Major Brian Harris, Operations Research Analyst, United States Army Reserves
As the United States Army prepares to face adversaries on multi-domain battlefields in the near future, both training and technology play a critical role in ensuring mission success for years to come. Learn how the Army’s use of data analytics to help better manage training exercises, prioritize science and technology initiatives, and identify ways to reduce the logistics demands of the Army’s Brigade Combat Teams.
15:15 - Closing Remarks
- Sean Brophy, Vice President for Public Sector Sales, Tableau
15:15-16:45 - Networking in Partner Pavilion
Join your fellow attendees, Tableau experts, and speakers to network and learn.
Government Summit 2017
Speaker: Joel Gurin
President and Founder of the Center for Open Data Enterprise, a Washington-based nonprofit that works to maximize the value of open data as a public resource. He also serves as a senior open data consultant to the World Bank. Before launching the Center in January 2015 he wrote the book Open Data Now and led the launch team for the GovLab’s Open Data 500 study and Open Data Roundtables. He previously served as Chair of the White House Task Force on Smart Disclosure and as Chief of the Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.
Speakers and Sessions
- Joel Gurin: "Welcome and Opening Keynote"
- Emily Rae: "Enterprise Reporting for International Development"
- Justin Keeney, Dr. Carl Parson: "Big Data, Big Savings, Better Analytics"
- Martin Quinlan, Douglas Glen: "Interior’s Efforts at Better Value, Reporting, & Analytics"
- Michael Monroe, Joe Rohner, Jason Navaroli: "Strategic Metrics using Tableau: Driving Data-Driven Behavior"
- Kelly Jin: "From Filling Potholes to Disrupting the Cycle of Incarceration"