Upgrade to Tableau Desktop 10.0
Planning an upgrade to Tableau Desktop 10.0? Start here!
Tableau 10.0 features a gorgeous new interface and new capabilities to help you take your data analysis to the next level. Start here to learn more.
- Tableau Desktop 10.0 Overview
- Tableau Desktop Manual: What's new in 10.0?
- Tableau 10.0 Community Resources
- Tableau 10.0 Feature Blogs Round-Up
- Some things have been added or moved in the new interface. See changes below:
|Feature||What happened?||Where is it?||How do I access it?|
|Clustering||New||Analytics Pane||Analytics > Cluster (double-click or drag into the view)|
|Custom Territories by Group / Field||New||Menu items||Use the select tool in a map view to select and create custom territories.|
|Device Specific Dashboard||New||Dashboard||Create a Dashboard > Preview Device Layouts > Add Device Layouts|
|Document API||New||Source Code Editor (Python only for now)||For more information see: https://github.com/tableau/document-api-python|
|Manage R Connection...||Renamed||Help Menu||Help > Settings and Performance > Manage External Service Connection|
|Mark Sizing Control||Change||Marks Card (Size Shelf)||With a bar chart view, click on the Size shelf in the Marks Card; size changes can now be set to Fixed or Manual|
|New Default Workbook Theme||New||Format||Format > Workbook Theme > Default|
|Radial Distance Units||New||Menu Items||Map > Map Options|
|Viz Highlighter||New||Marks Card (Pills)||Right-click a field in the Marks Card > Show Highlighter|
Before you upgrade...
To have a seamless upgrading experience, follow these tips.
- Verify Tableau Server is on version 10.0: (Directions Here) Tableau Desktop 10.0 is unable to publish to earlier versions of Tableau Server. Make sure you can still share your data!
- Sharing workbooks with others? If you save a workbook in Tableau Desktop 10.0, anyone on an earlier version will be unable to open the workbook. Keep duplicates of your workbooks to be safe!
- Test it out first! Take a look at the Known Issues and install Tableau Desktop 10.0 to make sure everything works as expected. You can install multiple versions on the same computer which will set 10.0 as the default version. Change your default back by following the instructions here: Upgrading Tableau Desktop
- Installing on a new computer? You'll have to transfer your license from one computer to the other. Upgrading Tableau Desktop
- Review Tech Specs: Windows Vista, Internet Explorer 10.0 and earlier, and OS X Mavericks are no longer supported. Review the latest tech specs.
- See what we fixed: 10.0 Release Notes
We recommend always being on the latest version for the newest features and fixes. However, when collaborating, consider using the same version of Tableau Desktop as your team and your Tableau Server because workbooks are automatically upgraded when published or saved and cannot be rolled back.
- Tableau Desktop can only publish to any same or later version of Tableau Server.*
- If you publish to a later version of Tableau Server the workbook version will be upgraded to the Tableau Server version. If you then download the workbook from Tableau Server, you will now be unable to open the workbook in the earlier version of Tableau Desktop.
- Later versions of Tableau Desktop can open workbooks from earlier versions of Tableau Desktop. However, the workbook version will be upgraded upon saving.
- Keep multiple versions of a workbook locally to make sure you always have the version you need.
- All versions of Tableau Desktop 8.2 and later can connect to data on any version of Tableau Server 8.2 and later.
- For more information see: Desktop and Server Compatibility
*Tableau Desktop and Server 8.2 and 8.3 are functionally the same, as 8.3 only added Kerberos support. As such, they are interchangeable and fully compatible.
Have more questions? We have a range of resources, from our Tableau Community to our Professional Services Team.
- Knowledge Base
- Tableau Desktop Resources
- @TableauSupport on Twitter: Follow for the latest support information regarding Tableau 10.0.
- Tableau Community Forums: The best place to get answers from fellow data lovers.
- Open a support case. For the fastest possible support, please include the following information:
- Our consultants can teach you how to get the most out of the new features and unlock the value in your data.