Education Analytics: Using Data to Achieve World-Class Results
In this higher education focused web seminar, Robert Bell of Birkbeck, University of London will explain how Birkbeck have allowed people to ask questions of their data quickly and easily.
He will be joining Andy Cotgreave, Senior Data Analyst at Tableau Software, previously of the University of Oxford, to discuss some of the challenges faced by higher education institutions with regards to getting insight from their data, including:
- Increased demands with lower budget. HESA, KIS, Student Surveys, Admissions stats - it's never ending, but budgets have been cut.
- Accountability/accuracy. Data needs to be accurate and yet it needs to be shared more.
- Silos/micro-cultures/autonomy. Data is everywhere. Departments, admin areas, functional areas - they've all created their own silo data sets.
- New frontiers for data. Freedom of Information. Students as consumers. All organisations are becoming data-driven. What strategy do you have to help with this?
- Data overload. How do we make sure that data is complete, meaningful, and correctly interpreted?
- Working together with IT. IT shouldn't be responding to endless queued requests to tweak reports, yet we rely on them to do too much of what should be day-to-day work.
Who should attend?
Data Analysts, Planning Officers, Lecturers, Researchers, Data Managers and anyone who has data in an academic institution!