Tableau Online Customers: 9.0 Is Coming Soon!

By Elaine Chen 2015/03/18

Tableau Online is excited to be the first member of the Tableau family to release the new and improved 9.0 Server experience to our customers. The new user interface is cleaner, more modern, and even easier to use than before. Everyone involved in beta testing has gotten a sneak peek, but we thought it was time for our entire Tableau Online community to be in the know.

Watch this video below for a quick sneak preview of the new interface:

Tableau Online will be launched before the other 9.0 products. The upgrade shouldn’t otherwise disrupt your existing workflows or schedules. However, you will need to have Tableau Desktop v8.2.5 or higher in order to take advantage of all of the capabilities of Tableau Online, including the ability to connect live to your cloud-hosted databases. If you are using our Command-line tool (tabcmd) with Tableau Online, you should download the new version of the Tableau toolkit as soon as the upgrade has occurred (click here for Tabcmd-64bit and Tabcmd-32bit). For the best experience, be sure to download Tableau Desktop 9.0 when it's announced!

But that’s not all: In addition to launching Tableau Online 9.0, we have even more exciting features coming soon. Some of our beta testers have seen new feature capabilities like the Tableau Online Sync Client and Site-Level SAML configuration. Although they won’t be available when 9.0 comes out, they'll follow soon after. Keep your eyes on this space for upcoming announcements!

Submitted by Elaine C. on

I've just updated the post with links to the new Tabcmd executables for 64bit and 32bit versions. Enjoy!

Submitted by Zach L. on

I installed the new 64-bit tabcmd package this morning and my Tableau Online updates are working again. A few notes however:
* the default installation directory is non-standard and includes "hosted-main" - I changed this to C:\local\tabcmd\ as previously instructed for 8.2 so my scripts would continue to work
* the version that appears in Windows is "hosted-main" instead of 9.0

Submitted by Laurie Webster (not verified) on

Wow! Much improved interface. It makes more sense. Good job everyone.

Submitted by Elaine C. (not verified) on

Zach, we are working on fixing this directory error. Thank you!

Submitted by Steve W (not verified) on

With upgrades like this, you guys really need to pro-actively email your customer Tableau Online Administrators with things like "If you are using our Command-line tool (tabcmd) with Tableau Online, you should download the new version of the Tableau toolkit as soon as the upgrade has occurred" I'd imagine that 99% of the people who are using Tableau Online are also using tabcmd and as a result of this update all of my data refreshes are failing. I would have liked to get out ahead of this prior to my internal customers complaining that data isn't updated.

Hi Steve-

We are sorry that you did not feel adequately notified of the required changes. We did do our best to inform all users of the upcoming upgrade, first with this blog post over a week prior to the upgrade, then with the proactive email to administrators that automatically gets sent 24-48 hours before upgrades, as well as including a link to this blog from both the emails and post-login notifications. We will try to be more explicit about required actions from our users in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

Submitted by Carrie Gallagher (not verified) on

I have to second Steve's comment. Hiding this in a blog post wasn't the best way to go.

I experienced the same issue with my internal customers whom I just launched to, so I'm not exactly impressing anyone with Tableau yet, unfortunately. I take some responsibility, sure. I agree, it needs to be even more explicit.

Submitted by Zach L. on

I just got contacted by Tableau support with a heads up that Tableau Online is being updated this weekend and a new version of tabcmd is required to push updates. Here are the links:
Note that when you use one of these installers the default installation directory may be back in your Tableau Server extras directory rather than the Tableau-recommended C:\tabcmd directory.

새 댓글 추가