Keep Your Data Fresh with Tableau Online's New Sync Client Feature

By Elaine Chen May 19, 2015

Tableau Online's new Online Sync Client is here! This highly-anticipated feature will make it easier to keep your on-premise and cloud application data fresh in Tableau Online. With the release of Tableau Desktop 9.0.1, you are now able to start a small client on your desktop that will periodically recreate an existing published extract, and republish it on your behalf to Tableau Online.

Check out a preview of this feature here:

To get this capability, download and install Tableau Desktop 9.0.1 for Windows. The Sync Client is pre-configured to work directly with Tableau Online. Just log in to your site, connect your client to the published data extracts you want to refresh, and you’re all set.

Want to know more? Check out our Quick-Start Guide in the Online Help section. Questions or comments on the new feature? Let us know in the comment section below!

Comments

Submitted by Kim Bridgeo (not verified) on

Will this feature eventually be added for Macs?

Submitted by Till A. (not verified) on

Is it correct that this feature is only available within the 64-bit version?

Submitted by Elaine C. on

Yes, that is correct.

Submitted by Elaine C. on

Some people have emailed me with questions about how to make sure their published workbooks reflect data that is refreshed with Online Sync. The most important thing to remember is that the Online Sync Client only refreshes _published_ data extracts. It does not refresh workbooks, unpublished data sources, or live data sources. A few tips:

1. From your workbook, make sure you are using an extracted data source. Then publish the data source (not the workbook) to Tableau Online. For more specifics on how to do this, go here: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/online/en-us/help.htm#to_publish.htm

2. Connect your Online Sync Client to your newly published Data Source Extract (see video above for step-by-step guidance). Online help: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/online/en-us/help.htm#to_sync_loca...

3. Go back to your workbook in Tableau Desktop and add a new data source. Select from “Tableau Server” and if prompted, enter in online.tableau.com. Find your published data source and add it to your workbook. Online help: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/online/en-us/help.html#example...

4. Go to a worksheet where you can see all of your data sources in the left Data Pane. Replace your local extract (icon of two cylinders with an arrow from one to the other) with the published data source you just connected to (should have a square sparkle icon). Then close the local extract. Online help: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/online/en-us/help.html#connect...

5. Repeat this process for any local extract file that you want refreshed.

6. Republish your workbook to Tableau Online. Now the published workbook will be using the published data sources, which will be refreshed nightly using your Online Sync client.

I hope this helps!
-Elaine

Submitted by Rob P. on

I guess I'll stick with the Tableau Data Extract Utility for now. I've filed a service request to track down this issue.

Thanks,
Rob

Submitted by Ashley J. on

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry to hear your are having issues. Please feel free to email me directly and we can hop on a call to get your issues resolved.

Ashley
Tableau Product Management - Cloud
Ajaschke@tableau.com

Submitted by Homer Roderick (not verified) on

This is appealing but needs a couple of features before I would switch.
1. Need email notification of any problem
2. Need to run more than 1 simultaneous. I'd like to be able to set the limit from 1 to 5 (or so) simultaneous

Submitted by Shane (not verified) on

It seems you can only use this tool with the workstation that has Tableau Desktop installed. Why is this tool not a separate download? I am using Tableau Desktop from a local workstation that connects to server datasources over a VPN. Installing this sync tool on the server hardware or another workstation behind the VPN would allow me to update to Tableau Online. Not sure why the sync tool is so closely tied to where Tableau Desktop is installed.

Submitted by Thomas (not verified) on

Is 1h the shortest refresh cycle? I'm more looking into something like 5 minutes as I want to steer a view activities in my operation.

Submitted by Ben (not verified) on

Wondering if the user needs to be logged on to the machine running tableau desktop, or if the service can run as a system user?

Submitted by IT engineer & c... (not verified) on

I facing this problem many time actually but after read this article I solved my problem thanks for sharing…http://www.gurusquad.com/GSRichCopy360Enterprise

Submitted by Jason K. on

In versions after 9.2, start online sync is under help

Submitted by Peter Marshall (not verified) on

I would like to see Tableau's reply to the comment below from last june?

Submitted by Shane (not verified) on June 23, 2015 - 9:25am

Submitted by jessica meri123 (not verified) on

Thanks for sharing these information. It’s a very nice topic. We are providing online training classes teradata online training

Submitted by Pouya G. on

Does this require Tableau Desktop to be open all the time ?

Submitted by Spandana (not verified) on

For example, if my data source gets refresh at 4:00 PM by tableau online sync client, parallel y I need to work on the dashboard that uses this data source. Will there be any data inconsistency problem or performance problem I can face.
R there any other issues I can face in this situation.

Submitted by Marcelo (not verified) on

According Tableau, "Online Sync Client will periodically recreate an existing published extract". So, is it a full refresh ? or incremental refresh?

For instance, If I have a table with 10 milions of rows, everytime Online Sync Client will extract all the 10 milions rows ? Or just the new/updated rows ?

Submitted by Mahesh (not verified) on

Hi,

I'm not able find Tableau Online Sync Client on my 9.2 version.

Please help us.