Rapid-Fire Tips and Tricks: Maximizing the Space of Your Dashboard

By Ross Perez April 21, 2015

Sometimes you have too many visualizations for the size constraints of your dashboard. It can be tempting to throw every sheet onto the dashboard and just "make it work", but there are ways that you can keep those beautiful large views and utilize actions to hide your sheets and guide your users through your viz.

The first way to maximize a small dashboard (or focus the effect of a large dashboard) is hiding a sheet and exposing it on action. To do this, first check "Use as Filter" in the view that you would like to be visible initially. Then, add a layout container and place both views inside it. The last step is to open up the action you created (Dashboard->Actions->Filter 1), and change the "Clearing the Selection" preference to "Show All Values". Now, when you click the first view, the second one will filter, but it will disappear on deselect. You just doubled the effective space of your dashboard!

The second way to maximize your dashboard space sounds obvious: create more than one. If you do create a second dashboard, however, it's often hard to rely on the people who are going to be viewing your workbook to click on it. In other words, they may not even know the second dashboard exists. To get around this problem you can use a dashboard action. Simply go to Dashboard->Filters and then add a new filtering action. Under "Target Sheets" select the second dashboard. You will also want to change the filter to run on Select. After you've done that, all you have to do is tell your users to click on the source sheet and they will automatically be taken to the second dashboard, filtered to their selection.

What are your dashboard maximization tricks?

Submitted by Paul A. on

Great tip! Thanks so much.

Two questions,
1. the titles of my second dashboard will just not disapear using this trick. Any ideas?
2. my second dashboard uses a jpeg image to provide a chart legend. The image does not get covered up by the first dashboard. Thoughts?

Submitted by Ross P. on

Hey Paul,

You can hide the titles on your second sheet by right clicking and clicking hide. That one is pretty easy... but unfortunately your second issue may be more difficult. It must be a floating element? If you placed it to the right of your visualization (as a fixed element) maybe it would work more smoothly, if not perfectly.

Submitted by Defrozer (not verified) on

Hi Paul,
I have 3 sheets on my dashboard (the point map will activate the heatmap and the heatmap will activate the bar chart. when I clear, the latter two get hidden. it is working perfectly as long as the map remains the same size. Trying your method - to have the map expand when I clear - either makes the tiled disappear or makes the map to not float anymore. Any tips? Thanks.

Submitted by Ross P. on

This technique will not work with floating dashboard items because they won't be included as part of the layout container. Try to build the dashboard without floating elements!

Submitted by megan f. on

Thanks for the great tips Ross! I will try this with one of my fledgling dashboards showing ten years of thyroid labs, with TSH data being the primary view and on-click revealing the correlating FT3 and FT4 lab results taken at the same time.

Doctors usually start with analyzing TSH levels, but when they see numbers falling outside of the reference range they will then want to look at FT3 and FT4 along with a whole other set of data points (TSH dosage, iron levels, cortisol) which I have yet to figure out how to add gracefully without cluttering the viz.

Submitted by Rick K (not verified) on

I love the tips but am having trouble duplicating the view. I can get it to filter and to exclude values, lower graphic is blank but the layout container stays the same size.
Is a map needed or will any graphic work?
What am I missing?

Submitted by Owais (not verified) on

Excellent tutorial but I just had a little concern - In the funding over time sheet, what if I don't want to select a subcategory from the year 2009 (in this case, Retail). What if I want to filter the whole of 2009, not 'Retail from 2009'?

Submitted by Owais (not verified) on

Sorry, I meant loan. Not retail.

Add new comment